Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You're So Vain????


I am trying to wean myself off celebrity gossip sites.  I decided that I didn't need mean-spiritedness cluttering up my soul at this point.  I have moved on to fashion sites.  I like the Sartorialist-type sites where a roving photographer finds a regular person on the street whose outfit is particularly fetching, snaps a picture and posts it on a blog.  The commenters are mostly positive; even if they don't care for the outfit they will applaud the wearer's courage. There are few if any trolls.  I have found new ways to wear some of the things in my closet.

Today I discovered there are sites where people take pictures of themselves in their own outfits and post them on a daily basis.  Now initially, it seemed a little weird.  Not that I wouldn't be tempted to do it on a day I felt I had accomplished a higher than normal level of sartorial splendor.

Now if a stranger wants to take your picture on the street because you put together an interesting outfit that's one thing.  It's a compliment.  Taking a picture of your own outfit and posting seems self-congratulatory in a slightly inappropriate way.  On the other hand why not celebrate one's sense of personal style?  No need to be a celebrity or model or designer to have style and flaunt it.

So maybe the concept is not so weird.  People look.  I look.  Some find wardrobe inspiration and some just like the fact that these posters are brave enough to put themselves out there.

2 comments:

Becki said...

Maybe not every day , but I think it sounds like a good idea.

Personally I think you have a great sense of style, but MY own style is pretty out there, so you can take that as a compliment or maybe (more likely) run for the hils...

Granny D said...

LOL, not running for the hills. I think I wore a post- worthy outfit to work today if I do say so myself - and I do.

It was great having you here. I miss you already. Hugs and kisses to you and Sho.