Friday, July 10, 2009

RE: But Is It Art?



Lorimarsha has an interesting post on her blog (link on the bloglist to the left) from Denis Dutton's book The Art Instinct listing some criteria for determining what is art. Even though I ask that question myself at times I have a visceral negative reaction to those people who look at a piece of art in a gallery or museum and say 'my kid could do that.' If you don't care for the piece or if it doesn't speak to you that's one thing. But the 'my kid could do that' attitude is insulting and dismissive to the artist.

I saw DuChamp's Fountain in the Dada Exhibit both at MOMA and the National Gallery (I thought the National Gallery did a much better job with the exhibit). I agree with Dutton that as as a Dadaist gesture, it is brilliant.

No comments: