Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sashimi



This is what I am craving at the moment.

I am hesitant to eat much raw fish here in America but in Japan I can't get enough. And here is the kicker. A year or so ago there was an article in Vanity Fair about the fish auction in Tokyo. It seems like all that lovely raw tuna that is so fabulous in Japan but that I have serious doubts about in Connecticut starts it journey at the fish auction in my hometown, Gloucester, Massachusetts. Then it goes to the airport where it is flown to Tokyo and sold to the restaurants. All this travel doesn't seem to affect the freshness and overall deliciousness of the fish.

So that makes me wonder if I should be less concerned here; but then I wonder if what we get here travels back from Japan. That could be too much flying for the fish. And then there is the issue of volume. Not many people around here will eat raw fish so it is likely to sit around longer getting that not-so-fresh fish funk.

At any rate, in about three weeks I will be in Japan and will be able to satisfy my craving. Maybe some of the fish I will be eating when I get there will be on the same flight over.

No comments: